Friday 7 June 2019

A Change of Heart


Come Together


                  About a year ago I made this screen print.  I’ve never posted it basically because I’m not great at the art of screen printing, but the message embedded here was important to me.  The story of the piece is that if people on the extreme sides of the political aisle would listen to one another they would find had a lot of core beliefs in common.  And now I’m actually questioning that idea. 

It’s more than two years into the Trump administration and I just get more disappointed in the state of the world every freaking day.  Really more than I thought ever would be possible.

During the 2016 Presidential Campaign the New York Times printed two pages of insults said by Trump, you can see it for yourself here:
But seriously what good does this do if everyone doesn’t read it?  Trump’s followers don’t read the NYTimes!  They watch Fox News and read Breitbart both of which sicken me.


Ideally I believe that it would be a simple answer if we all listened with open hearts to the other side. But I’m coming to the point where I don’t know if it’s possible.  This week Trump went to the U.K. where the people hate him as far as I can tell nearly as much as I do.  

AND here is my point, Trump doesn’t listen.  He was interviewed on Piers Morgan’s program Good Morning Britain, and Morgan asked Trump about his meeting with Prince Charles.  Apparently HRH talked a lot about climate change, but what did Trump take away from this?  No new insight or wisdom on the subject WHATSOEVER he just used this as an opportunity to spot light how long their meeting was…like that is the point.  That the Prince would talk to him for that long not what the heck the Prince was saying.  He definitely did NOT listen.  I’m including a link here from The Late Show with Steven Colbert if you want to see it.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh3V-6P3kE&list=PLiZxWe0ejyv9j2ulP5zZiE0an8CDtfv3_&index=2

Hmmm.  I’m rethinking my earlier stance.  Maybe it’s impossible to talk to these people!  Maybe it’s impossible for them to talk to me because I’m not going to change my positions either.  I BELIEVE in a woman’s right to make her own health and life choices.  I BELIEVE in equal rights for men, women, people of color, LGBTQ.  I BELIEVE that climate change is happening and it needs to be addressed.  I BELIEVE in using tax money for schools and relief from student loans for the millions that need it.  I BELIEVE in equal access to health care for all.  I BELIEVE in gun control.  I BELIEVE in freedom of religion, and free speech.  I BELIEVE in peace.  So if you don’t like those things and you don’t want to hear about them you’d probably be happier if you didn’t read my blog. 

Sorry if this entry is a downer and you didn't want to hear this stuff.  I will talk about crafts and art next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment