Tuesday 21 April 2020

What are you doing in quarantine?

That's probably a question people are asking all over the place.  I can't believe we've been inside for six weeks now.  When I was hearing all the stories of quarantine in Wuhan I remember thinking of what life must have been like for all those people.  Honestly I'm uncomfortable, but I realize how fortunate I am, I have a home and a yard, and food I even have a few rolls of toilet paper.  I feel for the people who have to go to work on the bus or subway and are risking exposure, many can't afford not to work.  All the medical personnel that are risking their lives, I'm so grateful to them.

Anyway, what I've been doing is logging major studio time.  And I haven't just been painting but I've been sewing, spinning yarn, and knitting a lot.  I find that especially knitting with it's rhythmic nature to be of comfort.  There is something in the action of working with your hands that quiets the mind.  And you can find a calm inside.  You forget about the worries for a little while.  Craft is a moving meditation.

I am not kidding about logging those hours I just keep doing things even if they are ridiculous like decorating packages to be mailed.  

Art Trading card, and a handspun, handknit bag for my friend.  Which will be mailed in the decorated envelope.  Because she's my friend who reminds me to stay cheery and enjoy life in the moment.

One more thing...if you'd like to learn to knit here is some instruction I did...it's really short, I'm no youtube vlogger (not yet anyway), but it will help you learn a knit stitch.  Maybe I'll make a matching video to teach you to purl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment